- 2 cups plain whole full cream yoghurt (Greek style is terrific)
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan salt or sea salt (optional or less if you prefer). I have made it without salt – no worries….
- Combine the yoghurt & salt together well in a bowl – make sure you remove any lumps from the salt before adding to the yoghurt
- Line a bowl with muslin/cheesecloth & pour the mix into the cloth
- Bring the corners together & tie off with string or a strong rubber band
- Place a hook through the string/rubber band & hand the cheese overnight in the fridge (remember to place a large bowl under the mix to catch the liquid
- Remove from the fridge (if you live in a cold environment you can hang it in your shower or over your kitchen sink) the next day – tip out the liquid (whey)
- unfold the wonderful package & there you will find a beautiful housemade soft cheese
- if you would like a harder cheese – leave it for 2 nights
- if you prefer not to use salt – just drain the yoghurt overnight & follow the same instructions
- to keep it longer in the fridge place it in a lidded container & cover the cheese with olive oil
- This cheese is wonderful with chickpea flatbread, blobbed on top of roasted vegetables, mixed with olive oil & herbs for a herbed cheesey dip or sweetened & used on top of your favourite cake.