These are just bloody delicious, easy to make, only use a handful of ingredients and are gluten free, grain free, nut free, dairy free, no added sugar and egg free.
They are not a crunchy biscuit, if you bake them super thin and for a long time – you might get there. They really are soft and lovely to eat without the crunch. They dunk well and keep their shape. If you want crunchy biscuits – keep cooking them! I have never tried to get them crunchy but I do roll the mix out super thin to make them a bit chewy around the edges.
Kids love them. They can easily be part of making these in the kitchen with you. There is not water involved so be careful.
For coeliacs, celiacs, paleo peeps looking for an awesome high protein, high fibre, no added sugar, egg free biscuit recipe – I reckon these take the cake (ha!).
They give you back control in the kitchen.
Save you time and best of all add something nourishing and delicious to your busy day.
Date & Cinnamon Biscuit Recipe
1 cup dried dates
1 cup of boiling water (for soaking dates – DO NOT DRAIN – this water is needed for the recipe)
4 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
¼ cup of coconut oil (or olive oil)
½ cup coconut flour
2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of bi-carb (baking soda)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line a flat baking tray with non stick baking paper
- Using your food processor, blend down dates, flax seed meal, coconut flour, cinnamon, salt & bicarb until dates are finely chopped
- Tip into a mixing bowl and quickly add boiling water and oil (coconut or olive)
- Using a fork, combine into a dough
- Let mix sit to firm up for 10 minutes
- Roll into walnut size balls, place on baking tray, flatten with a fork – I make about 25
- Bake for 25 minutes, cool & enjoy
Alternative (thermomix or quad blade blender)
Place all of the dry ingredients (including whole pitted dates) into bowl and blitz until dates are small and well distributed through the mix – tiny bits are best.
Tip dry mix into a bowl, add boiling water, combine and follow instructions above